So a job position opened at UWisconsin -Parkside. The position is open to ABD, though ABD is essentially considered a "Lecturer" for the first year, followed by tenure-track as long as you complete your dissertation by June 2013. So... I actually applied. But I really don't know. There are a lot of pros and cons.
- $$$ this is a given. A real salary compared to a negative one.
- Kate could easily get her license and actually work in job that is related to what she wants to do. (Not working with her current population)
- Moving closer to home (it's located about an hour north of Chicago)
- The ratio of students is 1:19
- The city size is about ideal at 100,000
- I would be teaching mostly strategy and some entrepreneurship. Likely 3 classes, all Strategy.
- Because the postion is a "lecturer", I could still go on the job market and if I could get a better position, it would not be a hit to my tenure-clock
- I would get out of the college of business which is kinda going down in flames.
- It would not hurt my relationship with my advisor or committee members as long I arranged telephone conferences.
- Its a teaching school. I really want a combination of both teaching and research.
- The total student population is 5300. This is much smaller than I would like
- If I only stayed for 1 year, we would have to move twice
- I'm not sure I'm ready to leave Pullman. I finally have a good social network and I know starting over is tough
- While I know I could complete my dissertation, it would be difficult. Things have just gotten to where I am able to have both a life and work toward completion of my program, and I would once again be working regular 14 hour days 7 days a week.
- While I have little contact with my advisor/chair, I do share an office with Doug and Dustin so I at least get some intellectual collaboration.